Once again, we gather to celebrate our good works in our struggle to build a solid foundation for justice. We join with our churches, our supporters, our affiliates, our friends who chose to stand up, to answer the call for a just society.
Over the past year, SOUL has succeeded in making a number of positive changes in our communities:
- Secured millions of dollars in funding for 2012-2013 for the Urban Weatherization Initiative, which will create jobs in low-income communities on the South Side and South Suburbs.
- As part of IIRON and Make Wall Street Pay Illinois, introduced corporate tax transparency legislation in Springfield that will require corporations to publicly disclose the taxes they pay, so we can push to make corporations pay their fair share.
- Played a key role in building a national movement to hold Wall Street accountable for the foreclosure crisis and economic recession through actions such as the “SOUL 16” occupation of the Mortgage Bankers Association of America conference.
- Supported leaders in Harvey in developing new SOUL affiliate organization that successfully forced the Village of Harvey to demolish some of Harvey’s most dilapidated vacant houses.
- Supported leaders in Bridgeport in developing new SOUL affiliate organization that played a significant role in closing two coal power plants that were polluting the South Side and causing significant health problems in low-income communities.
- Successfully pushed Metra to cut in half their proposed fare increase for city riders.
Come, taste, and see our good works! We look forward to seeing you at the banquet.
To purchase tickets online click here. If you need more information want to buy an ad in our magazine, please contact Will Tanzman at firstname.lastname@example.org or (312) 402-0572
Here are the details of the event:
When: Sunday, October 7, 2012, 6:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Where: Church of Saint Paul and the Redeemer, 4945 S. Dorchester, Chicago